I didn’t really have a lot of time to take a feature picture for this post. I’ve been bed bound for the past 2 days. Yipee. I should probably explain.
So following on from my ‘Reading list and Motivation’ post ( link – https://elizalilysmiles.blog/2017/03/02/reading-list-and-motivation/ ) whereby I talk about how I choose which book to read next. I only realised now I didn’t mention anywhere which books were apart of that method. So, clears throat, here I am with just a few titles in my reading list to date.
Originally I was working on a post about my workout routine but my brain fizzled out – The picture above was supposed to be heading that post.
I’m just feeling extremely drained at the moment. I’ve been off work since Monday and I don’t feel rested.
I don’t know if it’s because I just feel tired all the time, or if I’m just really, really lazy.
My sleeping pattern has been thrown so far off course that I don’t even want to sleep. My body is drained but my mind is buzzing. I lie awake at night for hours following the pattern on my bedsheets. Which are elephants if anyone was wondering.
All I have done, apart from decorating my room into a zen space, is craft thing. I’m trying to channel my energy into something creative – even if I have purposefully avoided this space because I just didn’t know what to say.
I’m not going to drag this out. I am going to apologise for ‘skipping’ my Mellow Monday slot – I kept getting notifications from my planner pro app to upload something, even if it’s just a link to a song that I want you guys to hear.
I’ll hopefully write and schedule a Mellow Monday before I sleep today.
Slinks back onto the floor to finish binge watching Project Runway.
Edit ~ This post was motivation by this cover. Jungkook. Please. I couldn’t wait till Monday to show you guys this. He literally.
Today we are going to talk about my way of picking books to read and my motivation for reading. Now I read a hell of a lot of books in my spare time. I just really love reading. I read on my phone, on my computer, on my way to work on my kindle, and just good ol’ paperbacks. Reading for me is such a great escape – I could be sat on the packed Victoria line in reality, but in my mind I’m investigating ‘The Maze’ or escaping the law because I’m a halfskin. Both of these references are from books by Tony Bertauski, one of my current favourite authors – but he will have his own dedicated post.
I have a really bad habit of buying books every time I walk into a bookshop and I end up with piles and piles of things I want to read but don’t have the time too or can’t decide on what to read next. And it’s not as if I read one solid genre – I jump between genres, from YA to hard hitting thrillers. I feel like it broadens my creative mindset and allows me to see different perspectives in works. I’m tangenting.
So I’ve devised a really awesome way of picking what I read next.
It all starts with a pack of post it notes and a pen. I start by writing all the books I’m interested in reading and write each title on a post it – I write it in the side where the adhesive is on the top. Once I’ve written them all out I flip them over and shuffle them about. Once shuffled I number all of them randomly and then place them in a pile – I try not to look at what order they have ended up in because i like surprises haha! I then place them on a large piece of card. It kind of looks like a book advent calendar by the end of it, but this means whenever I finish a book I just go the the next number on the list. This works for me as I never have the option to overthink a choice. But sometimes I forget what books I’ve bought and then I flip over a post it and see a title I’d completely forgotten and get excited all over again.
This method sometimes fails me if I have a whole series of books and the number I pick is the sequel to a book I’m still yet to read. Then I’m left to decide if I just grab book one or pick the next number along.
I follow a blog on here, https://bluchickenninja.com/ and she has this really awesome method on picking books to read next called a TBR jar. She writes all the names on little bits of paper and randomly picks them out of a jar. I really like this method as you are completely unaware of what could be next. Plus if done creatively you could have them in a really cute jar that’s you’ve decorated.
I feel like my motivation for reading comes from my little cousins. Their imagination is something else and they are always intrigued by even the smallest of things. When my cousin or myself read them books, the wonder in their eyes really pushes me to find myself like that when I’m reading a book. It might be their oblivious view on the world but we all need a bit of wonder.
I’ll add some visuals to this post a bit later but I’m going to post this now – I’m behind on my schedule already because I was sidetracked by my knitting yesterday. I never learn do I.
I’ll also be adding a link to my good reads account once I remember the logins for it so you guy can keep up to date with what I’m reading and how I’m finding each book.
Hope you enjoy guys and find some really nifty ways to pick what you’re reading next!
See you next post guys whereby I tell you how I decide my workout routine for my exercise sessions.
Now I have recently been getting back into art and everything craft related – I’m currently knitting myself scarf. I bought this really lovely grey wool and its super soft. Once I’ve completed it, I’ll do a post with the final thing.
So back to the matter at hand, in my spare time I love watching YouTube channels of artists. I have a handful I frequently watch but I have to say my favourite is Minnie Small – SemiSkimmedMin.
Her voice is so soothing and her videos are really informative – It might come across as creepy but before I meditate and sleep I watch at least 5 of her videos just to give me ideas and motivate me.
She recently completed a video series called ’30 Ways to fill a sketchbook’, giving viewers insightful ways and things to do to fill a sketchbook. From drawing a landscape, to creating a character and a mini comic series.
The reason I like her channel is the fact she uses art supplies that you can find and afford in most cases.
I hope you guys enjoy her channel as much as I do and find some artistic inspiration along the way.
Here’s a link to her website as well, http://semiskimmedmin.com/
I will be hopefully finishing up a post to schedule for tomorrow as I have been slacking – With my laptop in front of me, I procrastinated and chose to watch two films instead.
This week’s mellow monday is one of my all time favourite Japanese songs, ‘Baby Don’t Cry’ by Amuro Namie. This song is just so relaxing to listen to and her voice is so mesmerising, I can sit here for hours flicking through her music.
I’m not going to add much after this, a part from the general other songs to check out. I am absolutely shattered from work. I will be back Wednesday with a post as I have a day off. I might go for a walk in the morning around the forest by my house.
Songs to check:
- Hide and Seek
- Girl Talk
- How to be a girl
I’m going to sign off now.
Happy reading, and let me know if you like the song.
So this is my last post for this week. I know it’s probably a shock to have gotten something everyday from me but I had some time off and felt like I should make some effort.
Today’s post is not going to be very long but it’s just a life update – More for myself than for you guys because I know if I type it up and post it I’ll remember it.
What I’m trying to do right now in life is give myself more of a positive outlook on life and take up more substantial and calming hobbies. I’m going to bullet point them down for you guys to see and I’m hoping you guys can find some ideas on things to do as well ^.^
- Knitting – I used to knit a lot when I was younger and I’m far from embarrassed by it. it’s a very calming hobby to have and it always made me feel accomplished when I finished a line without missing any loops. My favourite memory of this was sitting with 4 of my friends from surrounding streets after a bike ride, all jointly trying to make different limbs for a teddy for a friend. It was so fun and we were all sharing tips with each other.
- Thread work/string art – I found this really awesome DIY string art tutorial for words onto a cork board. I’m excited for this. I’ve started changing up my room and I want a focal point with something I’ve created. As soon as I find the board in the right sizing I’ll start-up stencilling my word and maybe let you in on a sneak peek.
- Drawing – I’ve been meaning to get back into drawing for a long time. Going from doodling throughout my secondary school time to random bursts, I’ve really lost my drawing flow. my main plan with this is to carry one of my multiple small sketch books around with me and when I have time or just an idea, to doodle it down. I’m hoping this will help me refine previous sills I worked on but also inspire me to work on bigger and better things. Also I could probably get myself into a few evening life drawing classes just to change-up my ever dulling life.
- Painting – I love, love, LOVE painting. I’ve recently found all of my old supplies amongst my mountain of belonging in my room and it’s given me goose pimples just thinking about relaxing to paint something. Cool exciting project to come very soon but I’m keeping it hush until its ready – I’m scared if I mention it now I’ll give up on myself so I’m going to wait till I’m mentally ready.
- Walking with a hint of photography – Before starting my job now, I used to go on long forest walks with my cousin and I really want to get back into it. From a health perspective, it’s starting to get yourself moving – Health post soon to come because I found something really cute I had started years ago – but the routes we take are always so scenic and visually stunning. There are so many niche corners that we pass and it would be good to work on composition and just general photography skills – I am a main contributor to an art blog on here but I haven’t posted something on there in ages. I lost my motivation. Insert sadness.
Glancing back over my list I realise all of my things I want to re-start or continue doing are all art related haha – awkward insert of laughter. But it’s what calms me. As I mentioned at the start of the video, this will be my last post of the week. Only because I have work all weekend and a few ‘social’ things to do, but I will have a Mellow Monday up and hopefully schedule a few posts for the week.
Wish me luck guys. I’m having a carpet crisis! See you next week.